I’ve been promising people that I’d some blog posts about our trip to Belize in February, but life just got all busy again since returning from the trip. But, life is always busy, so it’s time to just sit down and start to hammer through it.
I’m trying to remember exactly when our friends Shari and Robin brought up the idea of going sailing with them, but I remember thinking to myself “Damn, that would be fun, but what are the chances of it actually happening?” I think the ratio between those “we do this or that vacation together” and those vacations actually happening is like 10:1. Perhaps more like 20:1, but you know what I mean. Which is why when we saw the again in November at Iceman, we were pleasantly surprised when the brought it up again. I remember having the “What cha think, should we do it?” conversation on the way south on Sunday.
Well, the email conversations started, dates were picked, plans were finalized, and before we knew it, we were planning on heading to Belize sailing in February. Marty and I had been talking about a long trip out west for our 10th anniversary, but this trip was obviously going to be a more the adequate substitute. Robin’s bother owns a boat via Moorings, but was upgrading to a larger sailboat for this trip. We had the choice between locking in the boat style/size we wanted early, or waiting till 2 weeks prior to our trip to reserve the boat. If we reserved what we wanted, where we wanted it ahead of time, it was going to cost thousands more then if we waited till 2 weeks prior, and took a chance at the boat/location combo we wanted being filled up. We decided to take the chance, and worse case, we’d take a different boat, or go do a different port. It ended up working out in our favor, because the boat was available, and since the boat was open the next week also, we were offered the chance to extend our vacation for 3 more days, for a pitance more. Hell yeah. So, our 7 day vacation turned into a 10 day vacation at the last minute. Oh bother..
We wanted to be on the boat heading out on Saturday afternoon, and Marty and I needed to work on Friday. So, Shari crawled into the internet, and found us tickets that has us leaving Friday early evening, and being in Palcencia, Belize by Noon on Saturday. In between, there were four flights and 3 layovers. Perfect, tickets booked, and we were T-2 weeks and counting.
Before I get too into the trip, and the packing for the trip, it should be noted that we were warned that food would be expensive in Belize, and we would be cooking 90% of our meals on the boat ourselves, so we planned for packing food to take with us. Shari and Marty did some coordination, and research was done for luggage weight/size for all of the flights. 2x 35# bags per person. Since we were heading to Central America, there wasn’t a need for a lot of heavy clothes, or many clothes at all. So, about 1/2 of our luggage was dedicate to food. Too lazy to do the math? That’s 35# per person multiple by 4 people, totaling up to be 150# of food being packed and flown to Belize.
That’s a lot of Twinkies!!
Dinner is ready, so I’ll wrap up this riveting post of the back story, and try to get post about the trip there and the first couple of days later this week.